Webinar / by Peter Isler
Recorded Webinars are available NOW to stream on demand
You’ll have access for months to view as often as you like
Sign Up Here
Picking up where the Expedition 101 Course leaves off, Peter Isler teaches these six live and recorded on-demand courses that offer an in depth look at Expedition’s features and modules:
Expedition v10 – What’s New!: Available On-Demand NOW
11) Polars and Sail Chart: Available On-Demand NOW
22) Weather and Routing: Available On-Demand NOW
33) Buoy Racing & Starting Module: Available On-Demand NOW
44) Instrument Tuning and Optimization: Available On-Demand
55) Expedition’s Race Schedules: Available On-Demand
Expedition expert Peter Isler leads the module webinars with a combination of demonstrations, hands-on simulation exercises and case studies.
Live & On-Demand Webinar Modules
00) Expedition v10 – What’s New!
This course is designed specifically for the many sailors who have taken the “old” Expedition 101 course and all Expedition users who have not stayed on top of the many features and changes in the program in recent years. If you’re not up to speed on Ensemble Routing or new GRIB and weather features, to name just two, then you want to take this class.
The course will review the many refinements and improvements in Expedition and provide an existing user with an overview of how the changes effect Expedition use in the following areas.
• Charts and Charting
• Weather files
• Route Optimization
• Data Analysis
• Ventus interface
• General Setup
• Start Line Module
• And much more
Anyone current user and anyone who took the “old” Expedition 101 course will benefit greatly by taking this course.
Presented live in one three hour session or at your own pace on-demand.
00) Expedition v10 – What’s New! US$129 Click to Enroll
11) Polars and Sail Chart Revised & Updated!!
This session focuses on the creation and modification to polar files and sail chart files used in Expedition. Both files are crucial to our racing strategy and they usually start out pretty rough and can get very honed over time. Presented live in one three hour session or at your own pace on-demand. Topics include:
• Garbage in/Garbage out – where to source your initial information.
• Converting from an Spreadsheet/Excel type file (polar or sail chart) to a *.txt file compatible with Expedition
• Polar file and sail chart management within Expedition• Common problems. (polar file not displaying correctly, sail chart not visible)
• Logging data, saving tests for analysis
• Analysis: Updating your Polars/Sail Chart
• Archiving: Preserving old files in an orderly way
11) Polars and Sail Chart US$129 Click to Enroll
22) Weather and Routing Cool New Features
This module focuses on two of Expedition’s most valuable and powerful tools: display of Weather and Current GRIB files and Route Optimization. This module is valuable to day racers interested in using Expedition to analyze forecasts and an absolutely essential skill for offshore racers. For distance racing effective Weather Routing is what it is all about…
Presented live in one three hour session or at your own pace on-demand.
• GRIB files and their sources
• Configuring the display for your needs.
• Looking at the weather on shore
• Low Bandwidth strategy
• Pre-Race Route Optimization
• Analyzing and fine tuning your route optimization under way.
• How to prepare before an offshore race – historical analysis and pre race strategy.
22) Weather & Routing US$129 Click to Enroll
33) Buoy Racing & Starting Line Module Cool Program
Expedition provides round the buoy sailors with a powerful suite of tools that greatly help improve performance, tactics and navigation. This course is designed to provide the knowledge and skills needed to reap the benefits that Expedition can deliver to any racing team. Both “drop mark” windward/leeward and random leg style racing will be covered. A main area of focus will be on Expedition’s Start Line module.
While the focus is on Expedition’s short course features, the skills taught in the course will benefit coastal and offshore racers too. While they may rely on a navigator/strategist to operate Expedition during the heat of battle, the entire crew – skippers, tacticians, members of the “speed team” and bow team benefit by gaining a better understanding of Expedition’s potential and the information it provides.
The course will cover:
• Expedition’s Start Line Module
• Building a course
• Pinging and moving marks
• How to handle leeward gates
• Short course navigation
• Time to Layline & other course management tools
• Optimizing Expedition’s performance on the short course
• Dealing with instrument error
• Working with current and wind shear
• Getting the most out of Expedition while still hiking hard!
• Using Strip Chart in buoy racing
• Post race analysis tips
• Polar, performance and instrument tuning
• Expedition’s Handicap calculator
33) Buoy Racing & Starting Module US$129 Click to Enroll
44) Instrument Tuning and Optimization
Totally New 2017 Edition
This module covers the theory behind instrument setup, and the how to’s of calibration and fine tuning.
• Fundamentals of sensor installation
• Instrument calibration philosophy
• Understanding limitations
• Sequence of calibrations for baseline
• Calibrating your boat speed
• Wind calibration realities
• Peter’s system of wind calibration
• Dealing with current, wind shear, and variations in “wind weight”
• Using StripChart for analysis and fine-tune
• Pitfalls and realities of instrument tuning
• Display configuration fundamentals
• Using AIS with Expedition
44) Instrument Tuning & Optimization US$129 Click to Enroll
55) Expedition’s Race Schedules
Expedition’s Race Schedule tool provides strategic information in an offshore race by tracking rival boats from their position reports.
• Initial pre race set up
• How to enter race schedules/automatic and manual
• Displaying Race Schedules and Tracks
• Analyzing Race Schedules
55) Expedition’s Race Schedules US$79 Click to Enroll
More Info on All Expedition Module Courses
Preparation and pre-requisites: Download and install Expedition on a Windows PC/ Laptop. It is assumed that you are familiar with Expedition and have completed Expedition 101, or are already familiar with Expedition at that level. (Click here to see the Expedition 101 curriculum.)
Note: If you are not a licensed Expedition owner/user, North U. Expedition Webinar participants can download a free temporary (4 week) full version of Expedition for the webinar. Participants will also have the ability to buy Expedition at a discounted price either before or after the course. Download and pricing information below.
If you are a current Expedition owner/user then we recommend that you check to be sure you have the current/ latest version, as that is what we will be teaching from. Upgrades are free for current owners.
Class Times: Live Webinars: 7-10pm eastern, 4-7pm pacific.
0000-0300 GMT through March 12, 0100-0400 GMT after March 12.
During Class: You should have Expedition up and running along with your web browser and headset (or built in sound). When viewing recorded sessions you can pause (and replay) while you practice with Expedition.
Follow Up: You can review the course over and over again, at your leisure, for 90 days from the first log-in. There will also be a user group blog to share ideas and experiences.
00) Expedition v10 – What’s New! US$129
11) Polars and Sail Chart US$129
22) Weather and Routing US$129
33) Buoy Racing & Starting Module US$129
44) Instrument Tuning and Optimization US$129
55) Expedition’s Race Schedules. US$79
To download the free demo version of Expedition:
– Go to: http://www.expeditionmarine.com
– Download & install trial version
– Email the Site Code that you receive to Nick White
– Note in the email that you are attending the North U Expedition Webinar so you get an extended trial key code.
– You will receive a Temporary Key Code for you to use on your computer.
To Purchase Expedition:
If you do not currently own the Expedition Software, but would like to purchase it through North U, the cost is US$1,295.
When you purchase Expedition, the Webinar is included at no additional charge. For webinar attendees, you will have the option to also purchase Expedition AFTER the webinar and after you have had time to work with the trial software. This offer is available for 90 days from your webinar registration.
Contact North U directly to arrange the purchase: Fran@NorthU.NorthSails.com
To enroll in any Expedition Webinar, click here
To go to the Expedition 101 Info Page, click here.
To go to the Rules & Tactics Webinar Info Page, click here.
To view the full North U Seminar schedule and registration page, click here.